Development Support/Funding Advice and Support
Please find attached some resources to help you when establishing a new group:
We also have a number of resources to support groups including:
Constitution for small groups
Are you fit to be funded?
Funding Application Checklist
Funding Applications letters
Sources of Charity Funding covid-19
Inclusive Recruitment Toolkit
There is a dedicated page covering Safeguarding here, covering Adults and Children, and including templates.
Setting up a bank account for your new group
Nothing gives your new group credibility like having a bank account in its name. It says that you have arrived and are planning a future of doing more of what you do. Most importantly many funders and grant makers insist you have an account in the groups name in order to receive funds from them.
There are a number of options open to you – we have listed a few in the linked word document below along with a separate Financial Policy and procedures to help you manage it.
The delivery of our services will be in line with the advice below with support provided either by phone, email or other digital means. If you would like support with funding applications or with setting up a new group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01768 800350.
Group/organisation support & development
Cumbria CVS development team provides information and development support for charities, community groups and social enterprises. We work with groups/organisations to enhance and develop their confidence, leadership and skills to develop their capacity to provide services within the community. We’ve worked with many new and established organisations over the years so we have lots of experience in helping build strong, healthy foundations for their organisations.
We can help you too so contact us if you’d like help with:
- setting up a new organisation
- choosing the right legal structure, including CIO (charitable incorporated organisation), a charitable company
- drafting a constitution or other governing document
- funding and sustainability
- writing a business plan
- registering as a charity and help with charity law
- roles and responsibilities of management committee members or trustees
- running your organisation well
- policies and procedures for staff and volunteers
- working with other organisations from building links to developing partnerships and mergers
- trading and generating income
- getting ready for commissioning
- issues around employing staff
- monitoring and evaluating what you are doing
This isn’t everything we do. If you’re not sure whether we can help, please do contact us. Even if we can’t help, we’ll probably know someone who can.
Call us on 01768 800350
How we work
We provide our development service in one to one sessions, by phone and by email. We can also deliver help through training sessions, workshops and surgeries.
We work to build independent, strong, healthy organisations. We aim to help you recognise your own strengths and learn how to develop your own organisation.
Organisational Health Checks
All third sector organisations need to ensure that not only are they providing the quality of service that meets their client needs but that they have all the necessary processes in place to ensure that their organisation is in good shape for the future.
Completing a Health Check will help check that your organisation is operating in the optimum way, meeting all legal requirements, operating according to good practice and will help to identify any issues you may need to work on:
- CVS Health Check – getting started is for new groups and small groups
- CVS Health Check – building up is for more established groups
Cumbria CVS Development Officers can assist you in this process and provide support to ensure your organisation is in the best shape possible to face the future. Call 01768 800350
You can download factsheets to guide you through the following topics: