Information for Volunteers
Volunteer in your local area – help make a difference to others and yourself!
Volunteering can be so beneficial in enhancing self-esteem and confidence, gaining experience and knowledge, widening social networks and improving CVs for future employment.
We can help you to volunteer and find an opportunity that matches your skills and interests. We can advise you on what’s available in your local area and help you find something that meets your needs. There are lots of exciting opportunities including caring, administration, supporting disabled or older people, driving, conservation and being a trustee.
Getting involved – volunteering can change your life for the better – so why not give it a go?
Where to start
Think carefully about what type of volunteering role you want to do, where you would like volunteer and how much time you want to give. Local organisations offer a variety of opportunities.
You can register your interest in volunteering here:
Search for local volunteering opportunities and then apply or register your interest with your chosen organisation.
For the latest Cumbria Volunteer Vacancies please see below:
You might also find it useful to download the Volunteering FAQ
Come along and talk to local organisations about the range of volunteering opportunities available. Each event has over 15 local charities and organisations attending looking to recruit volunteers:
- West Cumbria Volunteering Fair- Wednesday 1st November 12.00p.m- 1.30p.m, Carnegie Theatre, Finkle Street, Workington, CA14 2BD (Download poster here)
- Carlisle Volunteering Fair- Thursday 16th November 10.30a.m- 12.30p.m, Carlisle College, Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1HS (Download poster here)
Please see attached posters. Volunteers can drop into the sessions at any time. For more information call 01768 800 350 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers are welcome to drop into these events at any time.
Get on Board- Volunteer Trustee and Director Information Session
This information session is an informal but informative event for anyone interested in becoming a trustee or director for a local charity. The sessions are as follows:
The sessions are as follows:
- Get on Board- Volunteer Trustee and Director Information Session, Kendal – Monday 6th November 11.00a.m- 12.30p.m, Stricklandgate House, 92 Stricklandgate, Kendal LA9 4PU Find out more and book here.
- Get on Board- Volunteer Trustee and Director Information Session, West Cumbria – Tuesday 7th November 4.30p.m- 6.00p.m- Barclays Eagle Lab, Bransty Row, Whitehaven CA28 7XL. Find out more and book here.
- Get on Board- Volunteer Trustee and Director Information Session, Carlisle- Wednesday 8th November 2.30p.m- 4.00p.m- Old Town Hall, Scotch Street, Carlisle CA3 8PN · Find out more and book here.
These Trustee Recruitment Sessions are organised and delivered in partnership with Cumbria Youth Alliance, Action with Communities, Active Cumbria, Cavendish Nuclear and Sellafield.
Community Action – How you can make a difference in your community
If formal volunteering isn’t something you have time to do then you could consider doing some information volunteering/community action. Community action starts with looking at how we can help our neighbours and those in need in and around our local communities. The recent lockdown showed how all of us could make a big difference by making small changes by simply being kind to each other and reaching out to those in need. Here are 10 simple ways you can help people out in your local community – Factsheet: How you can make a difference in your community
Online Volunteer Training
Some of these online training courses may interest you and support you in your role when volunteering or when you are looking at becoming a new volunteer. They are all free online training courses – Online Training for Volunteers.
Volunteer Case Studies to inspire you to volunteer!
Check out our Volunteering in Cumbria video to hear stories about why people volunteer and why you should too!
What to do next?
Contact us to:
- find out more about volunteering
- register as a volunteer https://volunteering.cumbriacvs.org.uk/
- discuss opportunities in your area
- organise a confidential (virtual) appointment via Microsoft Teams, Facebook Messenger or Zoom
Call: 01768 800350
Or complete this online form below:
We are open five days/week: Monday to Thursday 9am – 5pm; Friday 9am – 3pm.
If you have any comments, feedback, compliments and/or complaints regarding the Cumbria CVS Volunteering Service, please email email@example.com.
Alternatively contact Judith Smale, Volunteering Manager for Cumbria CVS directly on 01768 800350 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org