Eskdale Mill Manager
Organisation: Eskdale Mill & Heritage Trust
Salary Details: £13,000 p.a. (fte £16,250) + rent-free detached cottage
Closing date for applications: 4 Feb 2019
We are seeking a self-motivated person to manage our newly refurbished mill, provide a welcoming visitor experience and engage volunteers.
Eskdale Mill is a Grade II* listed water mill that is undergoing a £1 million restoration and interpretation project thanks to a National Lottery grant (Heritage Lottery Fund) and other grants. The site will be re-opened to the public in the summer of 2019 and we need a dynamic and enthusiastic Mill Manager to take charge of its day-to-day running and on-going conservation.
The key roles of the Eskdale Mill Manager are to:
- Manage the Eskdale Mill site and plan the maintenance of the buildings, machinery and heritage collections.
- Promote and provide a warm welcome to visitors, with the help of volunteers.
- Prepare and manage a programme of events and activities
- Recruit and manage Eskdale Mill volunteers
- Plan day-to-day operations and ensure the site is safe and suitable for visitors and
- Promote the mill, events and activities through local and wider opportunities
- Work in partnership with local businesses to promote attractions in the area and plan events.
- Maintain an oversight of budget income and outgoings, including visitor income and service costs.
- Regularly report to EMHT on progress and plans and support the core business of EMHT
In 2017, volunteers opened the mill to visitors and provided guided tours. It was open three days a week over the season and 2,910 visitor were recorded. In 2019 we hope to double that number by opening six days a week and increase it again in 2020 through promotion and joint marketing with the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, which receives 100,000 visitors per year.
Salary: £13,000 p.a. (fte £16,250) + rent-free accommodation at Eskdale Mill Cottage, a detached two-bedroom refurbished house next to the mill at the village of Boot (estimated rental value between £7,000 and £9,000 p.a.). The post-holder is required to live in the cottage and will also receive subsidised electricity.
Hours: The post is 37.5 hours per week for 31 weeks, from approximately 1st April to 31st October, and 19 hours per week for 21 weeks, from approximately 1st November to 31st March.
The Eskdale Mill Manager will be normally be required to work during half-term holidays and over the Christmas period (with time off in lieu for Bank Holidays).
In total this represents 0.8 full-time equivalent. The salary will be regularised throughout the year, with standard monthly payments.
Initially fixed term for two years and two months. The role and performance of the post-holder will be reviewed and a post may be offered on a permanent basis.
How to apply: Please request an application pack by emailing email@example.com or ring 016973 20803.
Applications must reach us by 2.00pm on Monday 4th February 2019.
Interviews will be held on 27th or 28th February 2019.