Volunteers and the Law – FULLY BOOKED
March 25, 2019
Date: Monday 25th March 2019
Time: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Where: Stricklandgate House
Address: 92 Stricklandgate, Kendal, LA9 4PU
Valuing volunteers and building mutually beneficial relationships is a key part of the role of Volunteer Managers. We want to treat our volunteers well and recognise their unique contribution, whilst also ensuring that we are working within the law.
This course will enable you to learn about the legal position of volunteers, how volunteer rights differ from those of paid employees and your organisation’s legal duties towards volunteers. You will leave feeling more confident about building positive relationships with volunteers, fulfilling your duty of care, reducing risk for your organisation and complying with the law.
Morning: This session will focus on building your understanding of the legal position of volunteers and your duty of care to volunteers through information giving, the use of case studies and scenarios.
Afternoon: This session will focus on understanding your responsibilities in terms of data protection and how to draft a privacy statement for volunteers. There will also be the opportunity to create an individualised action plan to take back to your organisation and we will explore how you can use influence to bring about change.
Learning outcomes: By the end of the day, you will:
- be able to explain the legal position of volunteers
- understand how to reduce the risk of forming a contract of employment
- be able to explain how volunteering works for people in receipt of state benefits and how immigration status affects volunteering
- understand how to keep volunteers healthy and safe and to fulfil your duty of care towards volunteers
- feel confident about managing volunteers’ data in line with data protection legislation (including GDPR) and ensure that your volunteers understand their responsibilities
- have identified your next steps in terms of changes to your organisation’s policies and procedures, educating and influencing others within your organisation.
Book now, places are limited.
Early Bird Booking available until Friday 11 March 2019:
- Cumbria CVS members: £80 early bird; £100 thereafter
- Non Cumbria CVS members: £100 early bird; £125 thereafter
Lunch and refreshments included
Bookings are closed for this event.